A superb example of this highly collectable wood by A.H. Scott who was one of the most respected club makers during the hickory era having being asked to make clubs for the Prince of Wales in 1901 who when ascending to the throne in 1908 (King George V) then appointed Scott has his official club maker. The length is 41.25” (105cm).
Scott patented the ‘Fork Splice’ joint in 1894, the number is still partially visible stamped to the crown of the head. The Prince of Wales ‘Plumes’ are also stamped above his name.
This wood has been beautifully restored to display condition. The head is also made from hickory wood which is a very unusual feature. Another nice feature is the original hide grip over thick under-listing.
This club is meant for DISPLAY only.
Born in Earlsferry in 1875, Andrew Herd Scott started playing golf from a young age learning from the good players whom he caddied for around the Elie area. He was also fortunate to be the nephew of George Forrester, the renowned club maker with whom he served his apprenticeship before spending time with Charles Hunter at Prestwick who had succeeded Tom Morris as the professional.
Upon returning to the Elie Club, Andrew started a small club making business and it was not long before he was inventing new models. In 1894 be brought out a Driver with a four splice neck deemed to be unbreakable. Other notable models were his Invincible irons in 1896 and his Straightline Putter which he registered in 1899.
His club making skills gained him such a reputation that he was asked to make a set for the Prince of Wales in 1902 which allowed him to stamp the Plume of Feathers on his clubs and then in 1908 when King George V ascended the throne be was granted the Royal Warrant and replaced the feathers with a Crown. A great honour indeed for someone who started life as a caddy in Elie. He began using his ‘Lion over Crown’ cleekmark in 1908 and sometimes without the crown.