A very nice example of a Hardy’s palakona shafted wood restored for display but could also be used for play. The swing weight is B4 and the length is 42.25” (107cm).
The head is simply stamped ‘Palakona’ (Regd) across the crown in script style. The six sided shaft is stamped ‘Palakona Registered Trade Mark, Hardys Bros Ltd, Alnwick, England.
The large head has been stained a deep red-brown colour. The sole is fitted with two metal plates, one at the front edge and the other along the rear. These plates are held in position by six allen key screws. The face is stamped with a very small lattice style pattern. The lead back weight is securely in place. The socket joint has been re whipped with black waxed linen thread which has then been lightly coated with shellac for further protection.
The shaft is connected to the head by a through-bore joint helping to add stability to the club. The original pale green leather grip is in good condition and remains tightly bound.
William Hardy began as a gunsmith in Alnwick (Northumberland, England) in 1872 and was soon joined by his brother John James to form the partnership known as Hardy Bros Ltd.
It was not long before they started to produce fishing equipment and started to use split cane (Palakona) for the rod shafts which was then found to be an ideal material for golf clubs where a flexible shaft was required. The bamboo laminated six sided shaft was patented, British Patent No. 414476.
Hardy’s sold golf clubs under their own name but they also had a very close relationship with Jack White of Sunningdale Golf Club (1901-26) who was the Open Champion at Sandwich in 1904.
In the early 1900’s they opened a shop in South David Street, Edinburgh and in 1914 they opened another shop in Princess Street, Edinburgh.