An exceptionally nice early gun metal putter by James Anderson retaining the fabulous original thick hide grip over under-listing. A wonderful display model or gift for the golf enthusiast. The club measures 33.75” (86cm).
The head is simply stamped with the 5/8” Anderson Anstruther cleekmark used from around 1880 onwards until around 1900 when a dual circle mark was introduced.
The attractive head has been cleaned and polished and remains tight to the shaft. The blade measures 3.5” (9cm) from the toe to heel along the centre of the back. The thick sole measures between ¼” to ½” wide and the hosel is 3.75” (95cm) in length. There are very few dint marks to the head (please see images) which is rare as these old gun metal head putters are often found in a poor state.
The straight shaft retains the original hide grip whipped with thick brown thread.
James Anderson of Anstruther
The business of this famous club maker was founded in the early 1860’s by James Anderson (b.1845) who originally started as a blacksmith and farrier. From the outset he produced quality iron heads supplying club makers within the Fife area before eventually producing heads for his own sale.
Before his death in 1895 he had patented his first club, a putting cleek named the ‘Kurtos’. By the early 1890’s he was making and supplying cleeks to Forrester, Carruther’s, F.H.Ayes and Willie Park jnr. He is also credited for designing the ‘diamond back’ cleek and produced many cleeks during the early 1890’s with this design.
Upon his death in 1895 his son Alexander took charge of the business and not only continued producing quality heads but also expanded the output making 100’s of thousands each year exporting many around the world especially to America.
Anderson of Anstruther cleeks can be recognised by their circle mark with Anderson Anstruther stamped inside. The original mark was introduced by James around 1875 and was used until he died in 1895. His son Alex changed the mark in the late 1890’s to a larger double circle design which was used for about 15 years before reverting back to the single stamped inside. The original mark was introduced by James around 1875 and was used until he died in 1895. His son Alex changed the mark in the late 1890’s to a larger double circle design which was used for about 15 years before reverting back to the single circle design but slightly larger. He also added a small pattern in the centre of the circle. Around 1908 he also introduced the now famous ‘Arrow’ mark not to be confused with other club makers who used an arrow with the word ’Accurate’. His was a plain arrow that always pointed to the toe of the head.
The company continued to be successful before finally closing down in the late 1930’s.