A fine gun metal putter from the workshop of D. McEwan & Son who were one of the most renowned families of club makers from the hickory era. Please see below for further details. This club has been restored for play or would make a very nice display item or gift for the golf enthusiast. The length is 37” (94cm) which is quite typical for putters made in the 1890’s and earlier because they were often used for chipping from a distance to the hole as well as for putting.
The head is clearly stamped D. McEwan within an oval circle with a ‘5 hump Serpent’ stamped beneath denoting that the head was supplied by Tom Stewart soon after he opened his forge in 1893. The shaft is stamped McEwan & Son. Musselburgh just below the grip.
The head has been cleaned and polished. There are a few small dint and scratch marks to the head which is quite normal for these old gun metal head putters as they were easily marked by the heavy iron heads when in the bag. The head measures 4” (10cm) from toe to heel through the centre of the face and the hosel measures 4.25” (11cm) with un even knurling (teeth) around the top edge.
The shaft has a ‘very’ slight bow which is only visible when holding the club horizontally at eye level. A period tan hide grip has been fitted whipped with the old style thick linen thread.
The McEwan Family
One of the most renowned club making families in golf history was founded by James McEwan (1747-1800) when it is believed he made his first clubs in Bruntsfield,Edinburgh c.1770. His clubs were stamped J Mc Ewan with a thistle above.
His son Peter (1781-1836) inherited the company when James died in 1800 and expanded the business outside of Edinburgh by selling clubs to other up and coming areas of Scotland such as Perth, Aberdeen and St. Andrews. He also removed the J from the name stamp and the thistle logo.
When he died in 1836 he was succeeded by his son Douglas (1809-1886) who went on to become one of the most respected makers of all time due to the fine quality of his clubs. His son Peter (No.2) 1834-1895 joined the firm in 1846 and a year later they opened their workshop in Musselburgh and by the early 1870’s they had 5 employees.
Peter had 5 sons and it was the eldest son Douglas (b.1869) who took over the business in 1895 when his father died.
It was around this time when the McEwan family decided to merge their two workshops (Bruntsfield and Musselburgh) at Musselburgh and Frank Doleman who had spent many years working for the family bought the Bruntsfield property and continued the business becoming a respected club maker.
Douglas continued to run the Musselburgh workshop until 1920 from various golf clubs where he was the professional, i.e. Ilkley (1900-06), Worthing (1907-09) and Leasowe in Cheshire 1911-20.
Other later members who carried on the tradition of club making were David McEwan (b.1875, 4th of 5 sons to Peter McEwan 2nd) who first joined his brother William at Formby G.C. around 1894 until 1898 when he took up the position of professional-club maker at nearby Birkdale where he stayed until 1932.
Peter McEwan (b.1873, 3rd son to Peter McEwan) who was the professional-club maker at Hesketh G.C. Southport from 1895 to 1914 and then joined Fixby Hall G.C., Huddersfield in 1920 to 1930.
William McEwan (b.1872, 2nd son of Peter McEwan) after learning his club making skills at the family workshop in Musselburgh then moved to the Royal Epping Forest G.C., Chingford, London before joining Formby G.C. in 1894 where he stayed until 1930.