A very rare and highly collectable spliced neck round back cleek that was part of Lord Dartmouth’s collection at some stage. The length is 37.75” (96cm).
This rare club was made by William Gibson of Kinghorn and supplied to Lockwood Brown who were high class gentleman’s outfitters based in the St. James district of London circa 1920-32. The head is stamped with the Wm.Gibson ‘star’ cleekmark and Lockwood Brown, London albeit their name is now rather faint.
The head has been cleaned, polished and the bottom edge re cut to remove old stone dint marks. Three bands of new black waxed linen whipping thread have been fitted to replace the original three bands. The face is stamped with a small dot punched pattern.
The shaft is straight and retains the original deep red leather grip tightly bound and in excellent condition.
William Gibson & Company.
William Gibson was born in 1868 and began his working career as a blacksmith’s apprentice working for James Anderson in Anstruther during the late 1880’s. However in 1897 he started his own becoming a principle partner of the firm Stirling and Gibson based in Edinburgh. When Stirling passed away in 1899 he changed the company name to Wm Gibson & Co and from there on the company grew to become the largest club making business in the world with all his products easily recognizable by the famous 5 pointed Star cleek mark.
He moved the business to Kinghorn, Fife in 1903 having opened a large factory in order to cope with the expanding business. Initially he kept to only producing cleeks but by 1905 he had launched into full club making producing both irons and woods sporting the star cleek mark. One of his most popular clubs and largest sellers for a number of years was the Hugh Logan patent iron called the Genii model. This club could be customized to suit most players requirements. His other very successful iron was the Star Maxwell which had been patented by Robert Maxwell. These clubs are easily recognizable by the holes in the hosel designed for weight reduction. Most of these irons were produced using stainless steel from around 1910 onwards.
His huge success was due to him being very broad minded regarding club production and new design ideas which lead him to produce many different ranges at various price levels in order to attract sales. He died in 1921 leaving his son George to continue running the business.
Lockwood Brown & Co.
They were a high class gents outfitter based at 76, Jermyn Street in the upmarket district of St. James’s in London’s West End, circa 1920-32.
They mainly commissioned high quality club makers to produce both their woods and irons but also assembled some clubs within their own workshop. Their mark shows the letters LB and their address within a circle on the rear of the head and sometimes they also stamped the sweet spot of the face (irons) with a smaller LB. Their iron heads were normally made from stainless steel and they were known to produce some giant headed niblicks.